Before visiting Mali, the main subjects of Vincent de Groot’s (contact) photography were landscape and architecture. Things can always change and they usually do. For Vincent, such a change came from the Malian people who ignited a passion for portraiture photography.
What do the people from Mali and other countries have that make them special in the photographer’s eye? As with most art, it is difficult to explain in words. Vincent believes that words don’t effectively express the feeling that has been captured by Vincent in a photograph. A simple glance from the subject, a smile, a gesture or the expression in the subject’s eyes can say more than a thousand words could ever say.
The photographs are not taken with a set mission or an agenda. They were not planned or rehearsed. The portraits are not about beauty. They document unique moments, which have disappeared forever and only are remaining in these images. On the website you will find an array of emotions embodied in these photographs taken by Vincent. The people who happened to cross the passionate photographer’s path taught him that nothing in life is more interesting than people.
— Text & Portrait: Montse Villarij
Assignments, publications and exhibitions
If you have a photographic assignments of any kind and from time to time I lend my work for exhibitions or allow publication. Feel free to contact me with your request or ideas.
- 2011: Casa de Mali, Palau Robert, Barcelona (Spain)
- 2010: Associació de Veïns Barri Segle XX, Terrassa-Barcelona (Spain)
- 2009: Au Soleil, Biederthal (France)
- 2009: Associació Demé, Terrassa-Barcelona (Spain)
- 2008: Cara e cultura negra – Teatro Nacional Claudio Santoro, Brasília (Brazil)
- 2008: Job Factory, Basel (Switzerland)
- 2013: Lewisburg Literary Festival (USA) – Literary Laundry Room
- 2010: Yeiser Art Center, Paducha (USA) – Paducha Photo
- 2011: Second price Accenti Magazine (Canada)
- 2009: First price UNICEF (The Netherlands)
- 1987: First price (The Netherlands)
- 2014: Wallstreet International Magazine – Article about photography
- 2013: Pittsburg Jewish Music Festival (USA) – Multimedia part of the Dybbuk Opera by Ben-Amots
- 2013: Endress+Hauser (Switzerland) – Art calendar
- 2013: Endress+Hauser (South Korea) – Desk calendar
- 2012: Café Philosophy magazine (New Zealand) – Magazine cover
- 2011: Just Jazz (Germany) -CD Cover and booklet
- 2011: SIPA News magazine (USA)- Columbia School of International and Public Affairs
- 2011: Accenti Magazine nr 23 – Cover page (Canada)
- 2011: Business Insider (USA) – Web article
- 2010: NGO flyer (Sweden)
- 2010: Leaflet and website (United Kingdom)
- 2009: UNESCO (France)- flyer
- 2009: Antilipseis magazine (Greece) – Article
Copyright notice and disclaimer
The exclusive copyright on all images and content on this site is owned by Vincent de Groot. Details on this and the disclaimer for this site can be found in the Copyright and Disclaimer for this website.